Hey all,
Posting up some pics from my last outing and of the trip home. First are some pictures from the last base I was at. The next are some pictures I took on the way back in the car ride up Jalalabad Road. This road is somewhat famous you can check it out with a quick google search. And for fun if you know any soldiers that have been to Afghanistan, tell them you know an American that traveled J-bad road in a Toyota Corolla, then watch their expression. There were some incredible views... you can see some of them below.
The last camp before return
Posting up some pics from my last outing and of the trip home. First are some pictures from the last base I was at. The next are some pictures I took on the way back in the car ride up Jalalabad Road. This road is somewhat famous you can check it out with a quick google search. And for fun if you know any soldiers that have been to Afghanistan, tell them you know an American that traveled J-bad road in a Toyota Corolla, then watch their expression. There were some incredible views... you can see some of them below.
The last camp before return
Day 1 We arrive and look at this! Well that's inspiring, in fact I'm inspired to get my work done here and get the hell outta this place!
Day 2 Work complete! Well would you look at that I think it's my flight!
Buh Bye now!
This pilots helmet was to funny had to have a picture of it.
Ever been in one of those moods where something is way funnier to you than it should be... this was like that. Every time I looked at this I couldn't help but get a stupid goofy grin
And here's a C-130 just because it's a big badass plane
And now Jalalabad Road
You'll notice some of these images are a bit blured
That would be due to speeds averaging 140 to 180kph
Or for those US folks like me who are not math inclined that would be
roughly 80 - 110 mph
A Jingo truck! I covered Jingo trucks in an earlier blog but this one is much better than the last one I snapped
Showing these two in larger view so you can see the tents out in the desert. I guess the upside for that guy is he doesn't owe a bank.
Now as scary as tis picture may look, there was no way we would be stuck in this lane beside this truck before the next curve came up. In reality this happened in the blink of an eye and we were around this truck in a couple seconds.... Making it around that next curve and not ending up in the ravine below is a different matter but we were not going to be anywhere near this truck by the time that curve came up.
Small Waterfall
Pictures of the a dam
And we stop. Turns out a US military convoy was in an accident we sat here about 45 minutes. Not really what you want to do around here. To give this some perspective. Um... when I get back to KC if anyone wants to take a stroll down prospect at say 2 in the am I'd be glad to do that before I wanna do this again.
And that was the end of it. Well despite a couple moments that made the heart thump a bit harder for a beat or two I'm no worse for the wear. I did file in my daily work report informing them I would not be using this as a regular route and means of travel! Despite all that it was a fun trip and there are only a handful of Westerners that can say they have traveled this road. Even fewer still on the list who can say they did it in an unarmored vehicle.... I know of two!
Take care my friend. Be safe and be home. Soon. Tony K
ReplyDeleteWill do man thx! My R&R date has been pushed back so not sure when I'll be back but I'll put the word out once I know!
ReplyDelete